The PD-NET APIs are a set of protocols that can be used to interact with PD-NET components.
The API documentation is comprised as follows:
- An overview of all architectural components and their functionality.
- An API specification for each of the architectural components:
The PD-NET architecture is divided into five segments:
- The Content Segment supports the provision of content items that can be rendered by a display. This includes aspects such as content creation; content hosting; and logic for complex, perhaps interactive, display applications.
- The Display Segment supports the rendering of digital items onto output hardware. Most typically this takes the form of making an image, Web page or other media visible on a screen.
- The Environment Segment supports the collection and distribution of environmental and contextual data (e.g. sensors).
- The Scheduling and Management Segment supports management of physical hardware and content schedules (i.e. which content items are played where, and when).
- The Mobile Segment supports communication from a display viewer’s personal mobile device.
Four of the five architectural segments provide a set of protocols to read and write data. The API is specified in a series of HTTP request methods on the following pages (one per segment):
- The Content Segment
- The Display Segment
- The Environment Segment
- The Scheduling and Management Segment
- The Mobile Segment — does not provide any external APIs.